Who is BMS Group
BMS Group is now the exclusive broker for the new and exclusive NZDHA insurance program.
BMS is a Lloyd’s broker and has 15 global teams, including in Melbourne and Ottawa, dedicated to providing coverage, and value-added services to associations and its members.
The Australian and Canadian teams provide coverage to more than 500,000 allied health and regulated professionals through 70+ associations across New Zealand, Australia & New Zealand.
BMS understand your risk as a dental hygienist and oral health therapist through our work with the Dental Hygienist Association Australia (DHAA) and the Canadian Dental Hygienists Association (CDHA) in which we provide insurance to more than 5,000 members combined.
This experience gives BMS a unique insight and ability to create and deliver significantly enhanced and continuously evolving member centric insurance programs. This includes ensuring broad, market-leading coverage, evidence-based risk management and exceptional member service.
To find out more visit www.bmsgroup.com/global-affinity
If you have any questions about the NZDHA insurance program or Indemnity Policy, contact BMS at 0800 999 267 or email email@example.com
Why have NZDHA chosen BMS as their insurance partner?
Ensuring NZDHA members have access to the most comprehensive coverage, additional, evidence-based risk management material and exceptional service for insurance queries and claims is paramount. BMS is a specialist broker dedicated to servicing associations and its members and will continue to enhance the Insurance Program.
- $10,000,000 Limit of Professional Indemnity and an annual limit of $20,000,000
- Access to free initial legal counsel in the event a complaint is made against you
- Cover is provided worldwide (excluding only the USA)
- Retroactive cover for past activities
- Run-off cover is available when you have a leave of absence or retire
- Locum & Student Dental Hygienists and Oral Health Therapists are insured
- Cover for refund of professional fees.
- Cover for Advanced Claim Protection
When will I have access to the new insurance program?
These benefits will be accessible to members of NZDHA from 1 October 2018.
Yes you can opt back in to the insurance program by contacting NZDHA
Can I opt out if I don’t want the insurance in my membership?
You have the option to opt out of the NZDHA program during the application or membership renewal process.
Professional Indemnity Insurance protects you against allegations or claims of financial loss due to injury or damages that have resulted from a negligent act, error, omission, malpractice or breach of duty that has arisen out of your professional capacity as a Dental Hygienists and Oral Health Therapists.
The NZDHA Policy will cover you for losses that fall outside of the Accident compensation Commission (ACC) relating to your professional services rendered as a Dental Hygienist or Oral Health Therapist. This includes cover for regulatory hearings / inquiries.
The NZDHA PI policy will also respond to protect your reputation should a claim occur.
You can contact BMS’ team of Senior Brokers on 0800 999 267 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The NZDHA PI Policy has run-off cover, so you remain covered in the event you have a leave of absence (such as maternity leave or due to an illness). To activate this, you must apply for run-off cover by contacting BMS on 0800 999 267 or via email at email@example.com. An additional premium may apply.
Yes. The NZDHA Insurance Policy provides run-off cover, which means you are covered when you retire. To activate this, you must apply for run-off cover by contacting BMS on 0800 999 267 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. An additional premium may apply.
Yes. The NZDHA Insurance Policy comply with and exceed all requirements set by the Dental Council New Zealand.
Yes. As a Public Health Sector worker, without your own insurance policy you are relying on your employer’s Insurance, which may be geared more towards protecting your employer. Further, Public Hospitals or Health Centres typically carry policy excesses upwards of $250,000; which means that, in the event of a claim against you, they may decline to cover you.
Your employer’s policy may not cover you for:
- Your services with previous employers.
- Your private practice work.
- Your past services rendered.
- Your services provided as a contractor, sub-contractor or consultant.
- If you are sued by your employer
- Legal support for disciplinary hearings and coronial enquiries.
NZDHA members who participate in the Insurance Program also have peace of mind that they have an individual $10,000,000 limit per claim covering their interests as well as access to free legal assistance with a senior lawyer for each potentially claimable issue that arises.
Having your own individual policy ensures you are covered if you want to work while transitioning from one employer to the next.
A leading New Zealand law firm will offer summary pro bono legal advice to all NZDHA members participating in the insurance program. To ensure all eligible members are provided with superior legal defence in the event of a claim or complaint.
NZDHA members can take advantage of this complimentary service for practice related questions involving issues such as:
- Privacy and confidentiality;
- Conflicts of interest;
- How to respond to requests for information from third parties;
- Inquires from your regulatory body;
- How to respond to a subpoena;
- Professional misconduct;
- Ethical obligations; and
- Professional obligations
- Immediately report any potential claim to BMS Group
- Formally document the incident, including details of those involved
- Submit any formal statement to BMS Group
- Report any regulatory investigations or notice of complaint within 30 days
- Gather any noted and supporting documentation
Members should not
- Speak with any third parties about the claim
- Assume any legal fees before reporting a claim
- Offer compensation to independently settle a claim
- Amend or change ant previous medical records once a statement of claim has been received
If you are aware of a potential claim should contact BMS Group directly at 0800 999 267 or email@example.com